Friday, January 13, 2012

Observation 1

For purposes of this observation set I'm posting the total hours in one chunk post.
I tried something different this time and instead of just testing my locating and labeling abilities I went out for a few hours each night for three nights in a row to see if I could personally note the changes and movement of the stars in relation to the moon, as well as the moon's phases.
The first night I went out, at my house in Sarasota, beginning around one thirty in the morning. I was able to see the moon a few days before full and I made note of Pisces and Orion almost at the highest point in the sky, with Ursa Major to the north (obviously) handle pointed to the northeast, and Polaris not visible because of the light from the moon. To the northwest I also made a note of the Hyades, but mostly just because I like them.

The second night was slightly clearer to start but clouds rolled in before I was able to make a longer-lasting comparison. Before they reached full cover I did see Pisces and Pisces Austrinus move westward slightly, with Orion right behind them. The moon was close to Orion's belt and was slowly making its way into Pisces with a day before it was due to be full.

By the third night the moon was full and the sky was clear of any clouds or fog, a good sign. Though its brightness did obscure some of Pisces, Pisces Austrinus helped my identify its location west of the zenith point, and the belt of Orion lead me to his shoulders and head- also moved westward yet again. The Hyades were so small they were hard to make note of as far as shifting is concerned, but like I said, I just like them. The north star was barely visible, and even then only because the handle of the Big Dipper had rotated in its circumpolar manner to point it out to me more easily than on the slightly clouded first night. Oh, this night I also found Arcturus by myself for the first time, mainly because of the handle of Ursa Major as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment