Friday, January 13, 2012

APOD 2.3 The View From Chajnantor

The View From Chajnantor

When I first saw this image I didn't realize how wide the image was, so I only saw about the farthest left third of the picture. Even though I only saw a piece of it though it reminded me of the technique we recently studied where you use multiple satellites to gather bits of data and then combine them later to get the full picture, so to speak. This particular array, the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array, gathers information from wavelengths over 1,000 times the length of visible light. What made this even more incredible to me was that we had just covered this technique in class, and seeing this example and full image of the array in action really solidified the concept for me in more than a hypothetical way.

No comments:

Post a Comment